You can never underestimate the importance of regular dental visits. Not only do we provide services that help keep your smile safe against the threat of tooth decay and gum disease, but we also can catch any issues before they become severe. One important part of regular checkups is a full teeth cleaning.
Teeth Cleaning Overview
When you come in to visit your dentist in Irvine, we first perform a comprehensive dental exam. We want to make sure that your teeth and gums are in good shape before moving on. Next, comes the teeth cleaning.
Even if you brush your teeth twice a day and floss regularly, there are some things that routine oral hygiene simply cannot address. That’s why we offer professional teeth cleaning. We remove the buildup that a toothbrush can’t handle, leaving your mouth fresh and clean. At the end of the cleaning, we typically provide a fluoride treatment, which will offer added protection for your teeth.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Registered Dental Hygienists usually perform professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis). The goal of these cleanings is to press the reset button, in a way. In the months between visits, your teeth and gums will inevitably start to see a buildup of plaque or tartar.
Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of Calculus (Tartar): Dental calculus is not at all related to high-school math. Instead, it is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line to prevent gum disease like gingivitis and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of Plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth Polishing: Remove stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling root planning.
Will All My Stains Be Removed?
The removal of stains during routine teeth cleanings can vary. If you have stains from regular dietary buildup, these should see a significant decrease in visibility.
However, some other stains are more resilient. Discoloration from diet choices such as coffee, tea, or wine may require a separate service. This is also the cafe for individuals whose teeth have become stained from regular tobacco usage. Fortunately, there is still a solution. At OC Dental, we offer Sinsational teeth whitening.
This modern teeth whitening treatment focuses on restoring a brighter shade to your teeth. Unlike over-the-counter teeth whitening solutions, this is a professional and safe way to rejuvenate your smile.
Part of a Complete Checkup
At regular checkup exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, veneers, dental bridges, etc.
Tips for Between Teeth Cleanings
We understand that making time for a dental appointment can be challenging. Still, we recommend coming in for a regular checkup twice a year. Doing so will add a much-needed layer of protection against gum disease and tooth decay.
Between visits, we have a few recommendations to keep your teeth healthy and clean
- Moderate lifestyle choices (avoid foods, drinks, or habits that can stain teeth)
- Floss and brush your teeth daily (be sure to floss before you brush your teeth)
- Treat any symptoms immediately (if you have pain or swelling, don’t wait for your next visit; call us today)
Schedule an Appointment Today
Putting too much time between regular dental visits can put your mouth at risk. Cavities can go undetected, plaque can build up, and even infections might start to spread. Don’t let any of this happen to you!
Contact OC Dental Specialists today to schedule an appointment. Our recommendation is that patients come in for checkups and teeth cleaning every six months. If you have any questions or would like to learn more about our services, call us today!
I’ve been coming to this office for just under a year, and I have to say, I’ve never encountered a more caring and friendly staff.
Dr. Sharma is kind and also incredibly friendly, highly professional, and extremely competent. I can’t recommend this office enough!